Garmin Alpha Review
From gun dog outfitter the Garmin Alpha Bundle wTT15 Dog Tracking Training System is an invaluable tool in the field, getting high performance from your dogs.
Garmin Alpha Bundle w TT15 Dog Tracking Training system is an invaluable tool in the field, the Alpha 100 helps you achieve optimum performance from your sporting dogs. It combines proven Garmin GPS dog tracking with Tri-Tronics® electronic dog training technology. This easy-to-use integrated handheld system allows you to track and train your dogs in the field at a range of up to 9 mi away, delivering their exact position as often as every 2.5 seconds.
The box contains all that you need to operate the device efficiently. The items include an Alpha 100 handheld device, a rechargeable Lithium-ion battery pack, a split-end adapter cable, an antenna with wide reach, an AC adapter and other things such as a belt clip, a vehicle power cable, and a USB cable.
- Reception capacity:
The best part about Garmin Alpha 100 is that it allows you to track and view your dog even if the area is bushy and widespread.
- Tracking and Training Capabilities:
The device has 100 maps from all the states which include trails, tracks, roads, elevation changes, and even creeks. You will not only be able to see the location and distance your dog is at, but also the location/distance of your car in relation to your location by marking it on the map using the waypoint marking feature.
- Stimulation Options:
You are given as many as 18 different choices for stimulation levels. One method allows you to gradually move from the first level to the last progressively while the other enables you to shift between 6 stimulation levels while you shuffle quickly between low, medium and high stimulation. You can also the tone and vibration commands if you are only trying to keep a track of your dog.
- Battery Life:
The already-powerful battery has an amazing Rescue Mode feature which you can use to extend the device’s battery life. The system will also automatically switch to this mode when the battery level reaches to 25%.
- Additional Software:
The BaseCamp and Birdseye Satellite Imagery programs also come with the Garmin Alpha 100. The BaseCamp feature allows you to create specific routes and waypoints for your dog to travel. You can even create Geofences to create boundaries so that you are alerted when the dog has reached a boundary or is crossing it.
The Birdseye Satellite Imagery, on the other hand, allows you to have a realistic view of the location of your dog through their collar.
- Waterproof Devices:
Both the handheld device and the collar are waterproof so you don’t have to worry about going for a swim with your dog or sending the dog alone for a swim.
- The full touch screen can be a little troublesome when you are out in the woods. While moving while hunting you may unintentionally touch the screen and alter the settings.
The screen being too small for visually impaired users to read.
- The device is full of features so you will need spend some time in understanding it operation and getting used-to it.
- You can sometimes lose contact with your dog’s collar when recharging and one also has to always reprogram both the devices after recharging.
- The device, because of the features, is suitable for those with a good budget.
- It is not a one-type-fits-all device and will not work for all types of hunters. For example, a bird hunter found it to be incompatible for his needs while he admired it for the amazing tracking capabilities. The new Garmin Tri Tronics PRO 550 Plus would be a better choice for upland hunters.
Overall, the Garmin Alpha 100 can be a real treat for those it is suitable for and who know how to use it.